Cyber security is a growing concern for all businesses. Cyber attacks are on the rise and the steps you take to secure your business have never been more important.
Microsoft offers a great range of solutions to help with this and Microsoft Purview is one of our favourites. Microsoft Purview is a powerful data governance solution designed to help businesses address these challenges and ensure the security and compliance of their data ecosystem.
In this article, we will explore five ways Microsoft Purview can help secure your business.
- Centralised Data Catalog – Microsoft Purview provides a central data catalog to give you a comprehensive view of your data landscape. It automatically scans and catalogs data assets from your entire IT estate. Purview’s built-in classification capabilities allow organisations to define and apply data classifications based on sensitivity levels, compliance requirements, or custom business rules. This ensures that sensitive data is properly identified and adequately protected, reducing the risk of data leakage or unauthorised access.
- Sensitive Data Detection- Data sprawl is a common challenge for organisations, making it difficult to locate and manage sensitive data effectively. Microsoft Purview employs artificial intelligence and machine learning algorithms to analyse data patterns and detect sensitive information, such as personally identifiable information (PII), credit card numbers, or intellectual property. By automatically identifying sensitive data, Purview assists IT professionals in implementing appropriate security controls and encryption measures to protect sensitive information from unauthorised access or inadvertent exposure.
- Integration with Information Protection – Microsoft Purview integrates seamlessly with Azure Information Protection (AIP) and Microsoft Information Protection (MIP) solutions. This integration allows organisations to apply consistent and granular data protection policies across their data ecosystem. By leveraging AIP and MIP, IT professionals can classify, label, and encrypt sensitive data, control access permissions, and enforce data protection policies consistently, regardless of the data’s location or format.
- Data Lineage – understanding the flow of data is key when considering data governance. Microsoft Purview provides data lineage capability that tracks the origin, movement and transformation of data across your data landscape. You can use this to trace lineage and identify potentially vulnerabilities.
- Compliance and Audit Readiness – Compliance with data protection regulations is a critical aspect of data security. Microsoft Purview helps organisations maintain compliance and audit readiness by providing a centralised platform to manage data governance policies and procedures. With Purview, you can define and enforce data access controls, monitor data usage and access patterns, and generate comprehensive audit trails and reports.
Cyber security and data are extremely closely linked. Microsoft Purview offers peace of mind and a great range of features to stay on top of your data. Purviews integration with the wider Azure and Microsoft security suites makes it a key piece of the wider cyber security landscape. The fact that it will significantly improve your data practices is also a huge benefit.
To learn more about how you could benefit from Microsoft Purview or explore Bridgeall’s cyber security or data services, contact us today.